A company-wide mandate
At Cadillac Fairview, sustainable thinking has changed just about everything. The way we make decisions, how we design new projects and the way we renovate older ones. It influences whom we hire and the way we measure success. In every property and at every level of management, the green factor plays an important role in decision making.
The launch of Cadillac Fairview’s pioneering GREEN AT WORK program in 2009 created operational benchmarks based on Best in Class industry standards and demanding green guidelines established by organizations such as LEED-EB and BOMA. It elevated thinking and standardized expectations across Cadillac Fairview, establishing rigorous performance targets and awards of recognition for success.
The GREEN AT WORK program is constructed on five sturdy, environmental pillars:
- Energy: Conservation and efficiency with the ultimate objective of net-zero emissions from buildings.
- Waste Management: Raise diversion rates in all properties with the ultimate goal of zero waste.
- Environmental Protection: To do everything possible to eliminate adverse effects when operational activities interact with the environment.
- Sustainable Procurement: Utilize environmentally safe products and services whenever possible.
- Communication: Dialogue and partner with tenants with respect to green education, programs and objectives.
All Cadillac Fairview properties are expected to achieve phased performance targets as set out in the five pillars. The program, operating with 2008 as the base year, has targeted a 15% reduction in energy consumption in each property by the year 2014. GREEN AT WORK also encourages and assists Cadillac Fairview properties in the pursuit of BOMA Best and LEED-EB certifications.
As one of North America's largest commercial landlords, our commitment to sustainable and socially responsible practices has helped to change an industry. We're just getting started.